Due: Nov. 15, 2016.
Choose one of the following two options and write 4–5 pages.
1. a) Write a sonnet about a contemporary situation (love is still an option, of course; but contemporary love). This is not a poetry-writing class; evaluation will be based on the display of knowledge about the sonnet form and tradition.
b) Write an explanation of your choices in section a), with proper references to all sources (lectures, the text, editor’s notes in the anthology, &tc.).
2. Chose a sonnet that we did not read in class, by one of the writers whom we have studied, and compare it carefully to the one(s) we did read. Pay close attention to language and poetics as well as to meaning and themes.
These assignments will be evaluated based on
• the understanding they display of the sonnet form in the Renaissance
• originality and thoughtfulness
• skill and correctness of writing
• whether they fulfill the criteria set out in the assignment
• whether they adhere to MLA format