Due: Dec. 1, 2016
Choose one of the following two options and write 4–5 pages.
1. a) Choose an object or situation, not necessarily sexual (bonus points for making something boring sound steamy), and describe it first as Aphra Behn, and then as John Wilmot, might have done. Verse would obviously be nice here, but the emphasis should be on the differences in the writers’ voices (1–2 pages).
b) Write an explanation of your choices in section a), with proper references to all sources (lectures, the text, editor’s notes in the anthology, &tc.).
2. Compare the narrative voices of two of the following four texts:
- Pepys’ Diary
- Defoe’s A Journal of the Plague Year
- Swift’s A Modest Proposal
- Johnson’s essays
Each of these four represents a different genre. How does narrative voice relate to genre in your two chosen texts?
These assignments will be evaluated based on
• the understanding they display of authorial/narrative voice
• originality and thoughtfulness
• skill and correctness of writing
• whether they fulfill the criteria set out in the assignment
• whether they adhere to MLA format